Sunday, August 14, 2011

Summer of Pop Culture Obsessions

I was thinking today about how I began the summer taking in the Calgary Expo and finished it at a roadside diner in the Fraser Canyon at an Elvis festival. Two celebrations of popular culture about as different as can be!

The Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo was held in a large convention centre and revolved around science fiction and fantasy featuring some big name celebrities and an endless supply of merchandise to spend your money on. Attendees dressed in amazing costumes they had spent hours and days getting just right.

The Elvis show was attended by a predominantly older crowd. Many of them, too, got into the part by wearing vintage outfits and Elvis t-shirts. There were a few classic cars on display in the parking lot. The venue at the "Elvis Rocks the Canyon" cafe is a shrine to the King of Rock and Roll. Every open spot in the place is plastered with Elvis pictures, record covers, statues, flags, tablecloths, pretty much any knick knack you can imagine!

It's funny to think about the things people are into. What drives us to obsess over a particular item or subject? Tonight I was watching the TV show "Collection Obsession" on TLC. There were these 2 guys who were right into Dolly Parton. Much like the "Elvis Rocks the Canyon" cafe, their house had been turned into a shrine, displaying pictures, records and clothing of Dolly Parton. The thing that struck me about it all was that she is still alive but these guys had objects such as letters and clothes that she had worn and it makes me wonder: How do these things get out into the world in the first place? If somebody had a letter I had written framed on the wall along with a picture of me and my former spouse I would think it a little odd, in fact I may be tempted to demand the things back! Dolly dropped in for a surprise visit and I get the feeling that she was a little taken back as well. But she took it in stride and was very nice to the two fans.

There's also another show on Space Channel about mega fans called "Fanboy Confessional" (on Twitter @fanboytv) I quite enjoy, but it too leads me to wonder: Are these people normal? Do they have jobs? How much do these hobbies cost?

However, whether it's Michael Hogan leading us all in a chant of "So Say We All" or a guy with black hair and sideburns singing "Love Me Tender" to an old lady in a lawn chair, I truly respect these entertainers for acknowledging just how fortunate they are to have a job where they can bring such joy to people. I also respect those organizers who go to the effort of setting up these opportunities where fans can come together to jostle for space on a showroom floor to get a glimpse of William Shatner or bake in the hot afternoon sun watching a guy in a white jumpsuit salute the king.

What about you? Do you have something that you would consider an obsession? Something you may consider yourself to be a big fan of?

No comments:

Post a Comment