Monday, September 10, 2012

Hike Into Willmore Wilderness: Conclusion


It was now Wednesday. After the terrific storm of the night before and the warnings we had received from other travellers about the weather possibly turning, we decided that we would
pack up our camp and move back up the Mountain Trail to the campground at Seep Creek. This would put us about 10km closer to the trail head.  Once we got there we would set up camp, spend the night and when we awoke the following morning we would evaluate the weather. If it was nice I would go on a solo hike with one of the dogs up the Seep Creek trail while Harold remained behind with the other dog whose feet were not fairing so well. If the weather was bad we decided we would just pack up camp and head back to the cars. It seemed pointless to sit in the rain all day Thursday just so we could go to bed wet and hike out on Friday.

We packed up and headed out shortly before noon. The trip was mostly uneventful. We again crossed the various creeks. We stopped again at the patrol cabin where we ran into another group of hunters on their way out on horse back. This group also had a chuck wagon. They were pretty friendly folks.
We took a break at Carson Creek campground, which is well used by outfitters and the like. It was empty while we were there but I had no doubt that it would see lots of activity over the next few weeks.
We met one fellow on his way out to hunt carrying just a backpack and a rifle. He said his pack was about 50 pounds. If he shot something his plan was he would butcher the sheep out there. Then he would stash his camping gear and walk the 20 or so km back to his vehicle with the carcass. He would then have to walk back the 20km to get his gear and then walk back to his vehicle again. He said he was used to it as he was a pretty avid hunter and a “young buck”. We wished him well and then we parted ways.
We reached Seep Creek campground. I wasn’t too impressed by this camp as it was in the trees which blocked any good views of the surrounding area. The creek was a fair walk away as well. Again the clouds were threatening. One minute it was raining the next the sun was out. the weather just could not make up its mind. We spent the evening chatting and eating, alternating between sitting by the fire pit (without a fire) and ducking for cover under the tarps. When darkness fell the clouds cleared off and the stars came out. I decided it was too early to sleep so gathered up what dry wood I could find and built a fire. We sat around for a bit then turned in.
At 3 am I was awakened by the sounds of rain on my tarp. Fed up with it all I secretly hoped it would continue so we could pack up and leave. The rest of my night was snatches of broken sleep. At one point I heard a rustling around the camp site. As I peered into the darkness with my headlamp I caught the reflection of animal eyes. It was one of the dogs who had decided to go for a walk. Once I discovered it was  the dog, I actually relaxed enough to get a few winks when I was awoken again by Harold looking for where his dog had gotten to. He then wandered off into the woods to answer the call of nature. Next time I awoke it was to the sound of Harold who had apparently gotten disoriented in the dark. I had seen his headlamp flickering around in the woods a couple of times but had just assumed he was going about his business.
Eventually 5:30am rolled around. In the gloom of morning and amid the rain, I decided to get up, put on my rain gear and have breakfast. I made some coffee.We decided we were heading home. In between showers we packed up our bags and hit the trail just as the clouds cleared off. We rolled our eyes in the sunlight and decided “Screw it, we’re leaving”.
It was actually good we did pack up when we did because not long after the clouds rolled in and a steady stream of rain fell on us the whole way back. This compounded with the muddy trail chewed up well by horse hooves
and another couple of river crossings, made for a wet slog back. Fortunately, when you know that at the end of the trail there are dry clothes and a truck with a heater your spirits stay pretty high even for 8 or 10 km.

 We got back to the vehicles about 11 am. I had a bag with some dry clothes, deodorant and running shoes. I changed quickly in the outhouse. The parking lot was full of horse trailers and vehicles. As I pulled out the Fish and Game officers were pulling in with their horse trailer. They would be in the area for a while keeping tabs on the hunters.
At Highway 40 Harold and I parted ways, he back to Edmonton and myself to Grande Prairie. I planned a stop in Grande Cache for some Chinese food but when I got there found the restaurant had just closed after the lunch hour. I found a steak house and pigged out on a cheeseburger and onion rings followed by a slice of cheesecake.
I would regret that decision later that night as I awoke in my own bed and ran to the bathroom to spend a few minutes dry heaving. It takes a bit for the stomach to re-acclimatize after eating processed / dried food I guess. While I sat in the chair recovering I flicked on the TV. On PBS there was a show called “Night of the Grizzlies” about some bear attacks that happened in a park in Montana in the 60’s.

I was glad I hadn’t seen it prior to my hiking trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment