Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Grizzly Bear Part 2: Afterthoughts

After having a day or two to process the events that happened at Poboktan Creek I have a few thoughts on the whole matter.

  • I have no anger toward the bear. When we choose to go into their territory it is the risk we take. We can do things to minimize those risks such as making noise and so on. I think my biggest worry is that the easy pickings he got by discovering our food bag will make him more likely to look again. This puts other hikers in danger. I don't know though. Perhaps another hiker had been in the area and left an easy meal. The warden did say it was unusual for bears to actually enter the campsites. If they are clean of garbage and offer nothing the bear would be interested in then he would have no reason to be there. They generally avoid human contact. We had only been on site maybe half an hour when it showed up.
  • I am very proud of the way the kids responded to the situation. We so often see kids over exaggerating things like being sick or falling down and hurting themselves. I am just as guilty as others of wondering: Are my kids wimps? This incident proved to me that when things are really serious they were able to keep a cool head. As soon as they saw the bear they quickly but calmly left the area. They walked away and didn't shout or freeze. We had just hiked in 8 km. When we hit the trail again to get out of there we were slogging through the mud and water. We were in a dangerous situation. They didn't just stop and cry, they followed along at a good pace and we hiked 8km back. No complaining. No whining. They just did what they had to do.
  • My son felt horrible for leaving his beloved teddy bear behind. My wife overheard him say that he was a "terrible parent" for doing so. I told him that what he did was right. We got out of danger so we could send someone back to save the teddy bear.
  • We did the right thing by reporting the incident. We had a responsibility to let other hikers know that there was a bear in the area. It was a bear that may become aggressive given his actions. The trail was closed the next day and will remain so for at least 2 weeks.
  • I am a little concerned because this was the first time we went backpacking as a family. We have hiked before but this was going to be a step up for us. I hope the kids do not get put off becase of the incident. We won't rush them though.
  • I wonder about the bear. I hope this was a one off incident. I would hate to think that he may be put down for this or it may lead to more aggressive behaviour. There are between 600 and 800 grizzly bears in Alberta. They are an endangered species. Most of it is because of humans.

Looking back on the experience I have to say I am glad it turned out the way it did. We did what we needed to do. We have since been in contact with the officer who has sent us a few pictures of bears in the area he has been monitoring hoping he can find a match. So far no luck.

3 comments:

  1. This is very insightful. I hope others will read it and be aware. I am also glad you all took the appropriate action.and are all safe .also hope you will not be put off by the experience and continue your family activities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would imagine it would be difficult to identify the bear that got your food? Don't all grizzlies look the same generally? I have almost been lunch a few times myself, not a good experience, twice I was on a dirt bike 29&27 years ago, luckily I out ran the bears, the third time was a grizzly , it did a false charge but stopped when I charged my shot gun, luckily I didn't have to use it, I always take bear spray now. You are right this bear could be aggressive to the next hiker, only because food is the source... did they ever take this bear out? Vince

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard what became of him. Probably on the watch list. Like you say, it's hard for your average guy to discern between bears, though some of the pictures he sent were of this mangy looking bear who liked like it was starving. I was pretty sure it wasn't that one. Also there are differences in colour you can pick out.

    ReplyDelete